The adverse effects of traditional PVC infusion set
This article mainly introduces the adverse effects of traditional PVC infusion set in use, specifically in the following aspects:
1. Most plasticizers used in traditional PVC infusion sets are DEHP, and the amount added is about 35%-40%. DEHP will migrate out during the infusion process and enter the human body with the liquid medicine. Animal experiments show that DEHP has reproductive toxicity and developmental toxicity, which can cause malformations of the male reproductive system. DEHP can also directly act on the fetus, and it can also affect fetal development by interfering with the placental barrier. DEHP is also carcinogenic and can cause liver cancer and testicular cancer.
Common drugs that promote the precipitation of DEHP are: paclitaxel, amiodarone hydrochloride, fat emulsion, docetaxel, ciprofloxacin, cefoperazone sodium, fluconazole, metronidazole, chloramphenicol, cimetidine, cyclosporine Hydrocortisone, Hydrocortisone, Hydroprednisone, Prednisone Acetate Injection, etc.
2. Traditional PVC has adsorption properties for alcohol-soluble and fat-soluble drugs, resulting in insufficient drug dosage, reduced efficacy, and increased treatment costs.
Effective concentration drops
"China Pharmacy" 2003 Vol.14 No.11 "Adsorption of Drugs by Plastic Products for Infusion" data shows that PVC material has adsorption effect on certain drugs, such as circulatory system drugs, nitroglycerin, ligustrazine hydrochloride, and anticancer drugs Carmustine, as well as certain drugs such as pain, tranquillity, and immunomodulators, have varying degrees of adsorption.
3. PVC contains lead, chromium and other metal ions, which enter the human body during the infusion process and endanger human health.
4. Residual vinyl chloride monomer in PVC, this compound has been confirmed to be carcinogen (causing liver cancer).
5. PVC burning can produce carcinogenic dioxin gas.